These are boiled and canned for convenience and tend to be softer than the dried ones once cooked. Chickpeas are creamy-white, protein-rich legumes used in the Indian and international cuisine. They are also known as Chana, Chole or Kabuli Chana. These pre-boiled TRS Chickpeas are almost ready to use, requiring only a few minutes of cooking with the curry masala to absorb the flavour of the gravy.
– Chickpeas are used in many Middle Eastern countries in dishes like falafels.
– Along with spices, tomato, ginger garlic, onion and Indian spices it is prepared as a very delicious main course dish – ‘chhole’ – which is usually served with rice, puri or bhatura.
– It can be added to chaats, salads and soups.
– It can be consumed as snacks when roasted with some spices.
– It is used to prepare the South Indian ‘Sundal’ during the festival of Navratri and Gollu.
– It can also act as a binding agent, and can be used to prepare patties.
– Chickpeas are rich in fibre and thus can aid weight loss.
– As it is rich in protein, Chana is a healthy addition to a vegetarian diet.
– It contains iron and manganese which helps in boosting the energy levels.
– It is believed to be helpful in stabilizing blood sugar.
– It helps in lowering bad cholesterol.
– It contains a lot of folic acid.
1. Take 2 Chhole tins, remove the water, wash and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan, fry 2 chopped onions for 5 minutes. Then add 1 tsp grated garlic & ginger, and green chillies (optional). Fry till the onions are soft and add 2 spoons of chana masala and sauté on low heat.
3. Then add 1 chopped tomato and 1 tsp crushed kasoori methi. Cook till the mix becomes soft and comes together.
4. Add the chana to this mixture along with salt and a little water to make a thick gravy. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
5. Garnish with chopped onions, coriander leaves, lemon juice and serve hot with puris or bhaturas.