– Sabudana khichdi can be prepared from Sago, especially during fasts as it is a good source of carbohydrates.
– Sabudana vadas are made by adding crushed roasted peanuts to sabudana, spices and mashed potatoes for binding. These are then fried in oil and are very delicious in taste.
– Sabudana Kheer is probably its most common form of consumption. Other sweets like ladoo can also be prepared from sago.
– Sabudana is used in poppadums, pakodas, bhel, thalipeeth etc.
– Sabudana contains a lot of starch or carbohydrates and this is why it is also consumed during fasts in India.
– For those looking to gain weight, Sabudana can be very helpful.
– It contains folic acid.
– Tapioca can also improve your digestion.
Storage: Store the sago in an airtight container, in a cool, dry place.
Recipe : Sabudana Khichdi
1. Rinse 1 cup sabudana a few times in water. Drain excess water leaving just a little to help soften it.
2. Dry roast 3/4 cup skinned peanuts until they become crisp. Set aside to cool. Then grind it to get a grainy texture.
4. Mix the ground peanuts, salt and (½ to 1 tsp) sugar, 1 tbsp. lemon juice with the drained sabudana pearls.
5. Heat 2 tbsp oil and crackle 1 tsp cumin with 1 chopped green chilli. Add the sabudana – peanuts mixture and sauté for 5 minutes on low flame stirring continuously till cooked.
6. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.